Friday, June 6, 2008

Pity Party




Finally Friday. As frustrating as rasing Lucy can be at times, I am still still meant to be a stay-at-home mom. I hear all the arguments that staying home can be as hard or harder then working while raising children. From this side of the fence it's still hard to fully believe. Maybe it's a single mom thing but after spending the evening chasing Lucy, getting her fed, taking care of her needs, getting too little sleep ... getting up at 5:30 (yes she did), feeding her, doing her hair, getting her dressed, getting my self dressed (oop forgot my hair) dropping her off at daycare, running home to switch laundry and do 10 minute "quickie clean", off to work ... come home repeat. When I pick her up from daycare, she is ready for mom time. It's time to bounce balls, snuggle, chase, go to a park, cook dinner, clean up, chase, play, bed.


Saturdays and Sundays are a welcome relief from all of this. Mostly we can go at a different pace, sure we're still up early (too early) but no need to get two cranky pants (Lucy and momma) all dressed and out the door by a certain time, no need to rush from one place to another (most weekend) and just more casual time together.


Places like the zoo close too early weekdays so we're left with weekends which are insanely busy (not to mention having only 2 days to hope for good weather). Then there are play places that have open play during weekdays but are closed evenings and weekends for birthday parties ... the list goes on and on and on.


OH and did I mention that our cranky/tired levels significantly rise after 6pm when we get a chance to do these things?


OK ... now that was a little trip down whiner lane. It's Friday and I am betting that I'll have a happier post on Saturday. Thanks for bearing with this "grass is greener" post.


Have a great Friday everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I remember those days well. I lasted only 6 months as a working mom. I was in tears every day because I missed my baby soooo much. I "retired" from my job as a social worker and have been a stay at home mom for 4 years. I now have a 4 year old and 1 year old twins. There is nothing I love more than being a stay at home mom.

Although, some days when the kids are cranky and I'm tired from getting up throughout the night with the twins, I WISH that I could drop them off at daycare and have it be someone else's problem. Sometimes the days can feel soooo long and I'm wishing my kids went to bed at 5pm.

My husband works 80-90 hours per week so we can afford for me to stay at home. Some weeks I don't even see him and I feel like a single mother! So, you see, the grass is sometimes greener from our camp too.