Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A Strong Will is Good ... A Strong Will is Good




My new mantra. I wanted a daughter with a strong will. I wanted a kid who wouldn't be too passive. I sure as shoot got what I wanted (carefull what you wish for mommas). I try to reframe the frustrations but somehow it's a lot easier to do it (reframe) when I am sitting here at the computer and Lucy is at daycare. She is one powerful two-year-old. At this age/stage she certainly doesn't always use her power for good. My beautiful girl often enters a room swinging. OH woe to the other children who happen to be walking toward anything she perceives to be hers (the swimming pool, the mall ...). It's not all fun. I find myself so frustrated so many times a day. I am afraid. I fear that my rational thoughts (its just a stage, it's just a stage) will be wrong and my irrational fears (she's evil) will turn out to be true.

It's not easy when even positive encouragement (oh Lucy I loved how you shared your mall, or Lucy good job keeping your hands to yourself) often serves only to remind her that she could be hitting or screaming.

OH the hard side of parenting.

It will get better right????

10 comments:

Karen said...

Yes, it will get better!

(That's what you needed to hear, right? :-)

Anonymous said...

Just get the cat to sleep on her more often. Cat Snooze Waves overcome the strongest will.

And she might be a nightmare of a child sometimes, but think about what an adult she'll turn out to be.

Nancy said...

Sister friend I HEAR ya!

I hold onto the thought that this big energy is going to be used in a big way in the future.

I am eagerly waiting on that book :)

Mamato2 said...

So, "terrible twos" are REAL?? EEK!

Kari said...

Oh we are SO there too! I wanted a girl who could hold her own too. But, never did I consider the fact that I wouldn't be able to hold my own with her somedays! :)

I too keep thinking that it will serve her well in the future! We sure are going to have one strong group of Ethiopian women in 20 yrs!

Jake and Taryn said...

It will get better!! Lucy is such a gorgeous little girl...sounds like she definitely has the brains and the beauty! :)

Cindy said...

Well the little beauty queen was certainly sweet and angelic when Tsega ran up to hug her as she was racing for *her* pool in MN :). She wasn't an "icky poo" at all, quite the contrary.

Ohh, but I hear you on the fear. We're actually pretty scared to let our boys get around other babies for fear they will bite them in a mean way, not a love bite way. Thank G they don't attend day care; most def they would have been kicked out by now! Plus last summer Tsega practically beat up a 4 year old boy and made him cry (hmmm, come to think of it, kids about that age usually give T pretty dirty looks at his over-friendliness); and there was that 9 year old girl last June who cried for help. . .

Autumn and Dan's family said...

Yes! Yes! Yes! It will get better! We have a very "spirited" child ourselves! We had a really tough year and a half. I feared for any child who got in his "space." He is now three and in a whole new stage, but he does great with other children now. Thank, God! The last time he bit a child in the face was four months ago! Keep up with the mantras and crazy repetition it will one day pay off. On the other hand, I'm really happy my child isn't passive and shy!

Christina said...

There was a really funny post I just read about this....I think you will get a kick out of it....

http://johnson-mccormickfamily.blogspot.com/2007/02/top-ten-wharped-mindset-of-mama-of-twin.html

Deirdre said...

Oh, goodness, I sure hope it gets better! We're knee deep the the terrible twos here, and boy do they hurt sometimes. Yesterday we had no fewer than 50 tantrums—and 15 of those were during a half-hour trip to the grocery store. I didn't know if either of us would make it out of there alive. Luckily they're cute when they're sleeping, so you can end your day with warm and fuzzy thoughts about them. :-)