Thursday, February 26, 2009

The ENT and The Boots

OH MY, today was such a trying day. I picked Lucy up early from school. I picked her up early so I could bring her home and spiff her up for her appointment with the ENT specialist. I spiffed her up becasue I wanted her dr to see how cute and adorable she was so that he kept that in mind when he had this most precious child under his knife. She was THE MOST ADORABLE child who ever passed through those doors, I am sure of that. Lucy fell asleep in the car on the way to the appointment. We arrived early and the dr was late so Lucy (who slept through getting out of the car, going through the parking lot, into the elevator, paying the co pay and moving into the exam room) slept almost an hour just waiting to see the doctor. She was groggy throughout the appointment so he didn't see her sassy side. The dr said I'd be crazy to not have Lucy's tonsils removed (along with the re-removal of the adenoids). They are huge even after 4 days of antibiotics and are obviously impacting her sleep as well as her health. I am scared to death of anesthesia (although less scared now that she's been through it once), the pain she'll be in and the possibility of bleeding. I also have a fear that she'll get some MRSI or something. shoot.

Well Lucy manage to distract me from my anxieties about her upcoming (not yet scheduled) surgery as she was such a super big "spirited" kid from the moment we got home until the moment I put her in bed (at 7). On top of fighting every single step of the way the one that threw me over the edge was that she decided to fill her boots up with WATER at the time the Zep and I were waiting for her to put her boots on so we could shovel. She said she was going to get a towel to dry them off and came back with them full of water, dripping every wehre and wet beyond repair. Needless to say she was in a place where I couldn't trust her inside while I shoveled so it had to wait until she went to bed. UGGGGHHHHH this was just one of many many things she did tonight. I feel beat up. At least we had a peaceful bedtime (it started an hour early but she didn't go to sleep until after 8). I just hope she sleeps so that tomorrow is an easier day for her.


Anonymous said...

some day this will all be funny to you my dear. It made me laugh, what a little imp. I love ya and her. Boots full of water, where does she get these ideas?

Kerri said...

Do the surgery. She will be so much better. It will be okay!

Jennifer said...

Let me know if you want me to send you my copy of "Raising your Spirited Child".

Min said...

Ohhh....the boot story made me giggle! Miss Lucy is going to be such a creative and force to reckon with once she reaches maturity!

You will be so relieved once the surgery is done. My little guy had his tonsils/adnoids removed and tubes replaced on January 8th. It took about 2 weeks for him to feel better, but now he sleeps better, hasn't had all the repeated infections and just seems to be more energetic!

Stock up on the popsicles, smoothie ingredients and ice cream!

Jill said...

Can I just say thank you for being so open and honest on your blog. Seeing the normal naughty things that your daughter does is actually very inspiring to me. It reminds me that it is okay to feel like you are able to snap sometimes and that it is okay to have moments where your child is less than wonderful. Thank you!

I love the fact that you "spiffed" her up for the doctor. I used to dress Mari in the cutest little outfits to go to the doctor's and then I realized that they never see her all spiffed up cause I have to undress her. But it's nice to be proud of our kids, isn't it?

Do the tonsil surgery...the anesthesia is a breeze. As for catching something like MRSA...make your nurses wash their hands. That is the #1 way to prevent it and it is okay to tell them to do that. "Don't touch my kid until you've washed those hands." (You won't have to tell them twice). And for the bleeding...the worst time is about 7 days after the surgery...that is when the scabs tend to fall off. So just stick to soft foods for 10-14 days and you will be fine. Don't be fooled into letting her eat hard/crispy stuff too early just cause she's feeling good.

Wow, more info that you ever needed to know. Sorry about that!

foreverisamoment said...

I think Lucy and my son Arlo are peas in a pod. And I feel for you. It is hard to stay Zen when the tug of war is endless some days. But, they are going to be AMAZING grown ups. Or maniacs :) I am going with AMAZING!

We are also on the threshold of scheduling the tonsil and adenoid surgery for our almost 3 year old. It makes me want to cry. ugh. I feel for ya.

Malia'sMama said...

Maybe having Zep neutered will calm him down?
Oh wait, Lucy is the wild one.
Okay, then having the tonsils out might have the same effect?
Just a little off beat (read" stupid!) humour.
Hope all is better, Mama.