Tuesday, April 17, 2007

When adoption is so hard you can't think straight

my friend mel from adopting morgan (see my links I love) just received news that her son's case did not make it through court. She has already waited nearly three months for a travel date and has already seen families who received referrals a month after her get through court and get travel dates. Now Morgan doesn't go through court again for a couple weeks. This is unbelievably hard for her (and Morgan). I realize other have had longer more heartbreaking waits (like those occurring in Guatemala) but this is hard. Adoption can be so hard because so much of the process is out of your control (after having gone through piles of very controlled paperwork). For people who think adoption is as simple as getting on an airplane please hear this: IT"S NOT!!!! When your child is thousands and thousands of miles away and a glitch in a system is keeping her/him in an orpanage longer then necessary ... it's hard. When you can do nothing but sit back and wait for the next thing to happen ... it's hard. When your child is growing up and you can't be there ... it's hard. Dear Mel ... it'll happen, and I am sure you're sick of people telling you to hang in there ... but hang in there. It'll happen. He'll come home and be a happy healthy boy.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I just wanted to 'officially' in the blog world.....say thank you soooo much..... It means so much to have this kind of support....especially when sometimes I feel like saying this to myself quite often....'geeze you're just being a baby!!!'

Mel